New Layout: Purple Turtle

There’s one thing I tend to do very, very wrong when designing my own layouts. I concentrate too much on what I think visitors would like to see rather than what I myself find pleasing. But not this time.

I like purple. I love turtles. Thus, we have a purple turtle.

The gorgeous photo is from Stock Xchng. I would’ve loved to use a picture of one of my own turts, but they refused to pose like they were flying.

If anything looks funny, it’s probably my fault. Or you could be using a Mac, which I don’t have and can’t test on. Either way, you should tell me and I’ll try my best to make things lovely again.

57 CommentsJump to comments form

• sofia said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I think it looks gorgeous

• tyler said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love it! Purple is one of my fav colors! I am just gonna sit here and marvel at the “pretty” for a while before getting back to work.

• Connie said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love it so much Becca! It looks stunning, as all your layouts always do. :-D

• Brenda said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

This layout looks wonderful! Love the shade of purple you used, and the turtle there indeed looks as if it’s flying!

• bliss said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

The curvy thingy at the top is misaligned in IE (don’t know about any other browsers, ’tis the only one I can use right now). I know that’s not very descriptive, so here’s a screenshot.Oh, and when I started typing in the comment box, it expanded. Looks like this.Other than that, I see no problems. Bee-YOO-tee-ful!

• bliss said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Crap. Ignore those links. You can just look at the site in IE, because I can’t unprotect that directory right now; if you don’t see what I’m talking about, mebbe somebody else can make more sense, or I can email ‘em later.

• Maja said,
    May 16, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Opera was a bit bitchy to me and had to refresh a few times, but appears to work nicely in it =)

• Christina said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Totally not surprisingly… your design is gorgeous. Your talent inspires me to be a better designer and a better coder. You’re awesome.

• Vickie said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love this new layout! It’s very beauuuuuuutiful. I’m sure this is what visitors like to see, too.

• Rina said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Another stunning layout You never cease to amaze me with your designs, Becca

• Lara said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Becca, what program do you usually design in?

• valerie said,

Looks great, Becca, as usual :-D

• jacelly said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

wow…. i like this great layout! luv the colors!

• May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I think the layout looks great, but I bet you wanted a prettier purple!

• Jennifer said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

loveee yourr layout and your site is AMAZINGG

• Viitoria said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Very pretty. Purple and white do very well together. However, the side bar and bg seem to load a bit slow – or at least a bit after teh rest of the page. Oooh…you got matching shades of smilies too!

• artemisa said,

Love it! It’s perfect.

• MK said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love the complexity while still retaining some simplicity! I love this hope it works well on a mac, I’ll go check on my friends mini

• kelly said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

beautiful. you are an excellent and inspiring designer Becca.

• mae said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

as always…. SO GORGEOUS! it’s unfair… you always come up with great designs… lols… just kidding of course!

• Teresa said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I absolutely adore your layout! It looks great in Opera.

• Yvonne said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Looks lovely, as usual.The content width on this page here seems wider than it does on the main page. I don’t know if it was intentional or not, everything still looks good.

• Elea said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love the colors of the new layout and the stunning turtle being featured. The background image is slightly misaligned at the moment though in my browser, which is weird, because you use Firefox yourself, no? I refreshed the page repeatedly, but it still gave me the same error.

• Becca said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Thanks all. Lara: Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro (by Corel, used to be Jasc). I like Photoshop better, but I’m still more familiar with PSP after having used it for years. Thankfully anything I create in PSP can be exported to PS for further editing. Viitoria: I just optimised a few of the graphics and played with the CSS, so hopefully things will load a bit faster now. Yvonne: Heh, yes the changing width was intentional. I needed for sidebar space on the front page for the About and Sideblog sections.

• Vicki said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

It’s so beautiful. Proof that being selfish pays off

• Pascal said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I think forget IE. It is a horrible browser, and there is no point breaking sweat to make a design that a) fits the international set standards and b) fits Microsoft’s non-standard browser, but those are just my 5 cents.Using Konqueror, the file manager and multi-protocol browser which KDE supplies, the layout looks very lovely. I found the last one more… …professional looking I guess, but I suppose it depends entirely on you. I am using Linux so things are somewhat different, but yea, quite okay.You are doing well, W3C only told me of one error, in your XHTML, which seems to apart of WordPress. > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fbeccary.com

• becca said,
    May 17, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love the new layout. You’re so damn talented!!!

• Becca said,
    May 18, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

About the lines that don’t quite line up thing… Haha, another thing I’ve done that looks strange but was actually intentional! They’re two separate boxes (one for content, one for sidebar). Perhaps I’ll edit the graphic later to show that, or just make the lines match up (which would probably be easier). As for the validation error, it’s due to a paragraph tag being inside an anchor tag. I like my “Continue reading…” links to be in a new paragraph, and WordPress currently doesn’t allow you to define what HTML you’d like to appear before and after the link, only the link text. Using <br /><br /> validates, but I’d hate to have to use that. It doesn’t bother me enough to make me want to edit the function that creates the link, so until WordPress builds that into it the error shall continue to stain this place!

• Suzume said,
    May 18, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

OMG! This layout is so awesome!!! I totally love it

• psycho said,
    May 18, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Hehe! I went “Wah” when I saw this layout It’s superb!

• Kat said,
    May 18, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

It looks great. So purple. My local bar is actually called the Purple Turtle.

• Jonathan said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Wow Becca, you never cease to amaze me with your design skills. It takes me months to come up with a design and even longer to code it all, you seem to have a new one every month. Congrats on the new design, it looks great! I recently redesigned mine and I really like it, so I’m going to be keeping it for a while. Good up the good work!

• Jennifer said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

This layout is lovely.

• Suzume said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I’ve tried and tried to make a completely css (minus the images) theme, and I fail everytime. I wish I knew what all the css did and how to get it to look right for my layout…. As I said before, this is absolutely fabulous!

• Jesse said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

As usual, it’s lovely. But I’ve yet to see a layout from you that wasn’t aesthetically pleasing while retaining it’s functionality… Read: You stink! I can’t make layouts for WP for beans yet!

• Oriana said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

The layout is beautiful! I miss my turtles! (I’ve gone away from home to college, and turtles are at home)

• Pascal said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Just out of curiosity, Bec, what operating system are you using?

• marisa said,
    May 19, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

becca! ahh. cute layout!!! ::love::

• Joelle said,
    May 20, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

awww! This is so cute! Lovely!

• Kaniaz said,
    May 20, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

It looks amazing I envy your skills.

• Jess said,
    May 20, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Wow, this is AWESOME! You never fail to amaze me when you put a new layout up! Bah, who cares what everyone thinks as long as you are content with what you like?

• Jenny said,
    May 20, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

omg wow becca! this layout is amazing! i love it to death! and the turtle thing is very cool. it does look like its soaring thru the seas. amazing!

• cat said,
    May 21, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

i look away for a day or two and POOF new layout! very nice! i love purple too!

• ange said,
    May 21, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Hey! Was browsing the css reboot participant list and discovered you were the only participant from Hong Kong. I’m from Hong Kong as well, but I found out about the reboot too late to be able to join.Anyhow, nice layout, the shade of purple is quite… velvety, and it looks just great on 1024×768 Firefox.

• Ms Muse said,
    May 21, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I think it is perfect …

• Jenna said,
    May 21, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love this layout lol. It’s simple and sweet I used to do that all the time to (make layouts that i think visitors would like), and some of the time I still got lots of negative comments. Now, I do what I like and other people like it too lol. Weird huh…..

• ^aNi said,
    May 22, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

i love this one!!!

• Skye said,
    May 22, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love the design – the rollovers for the menu are cute too It’s amazing how pets just refuse to pose when you really want a photo of them in a particular position. Lol. They have a sixth sense about it I think. hehe.

• Camilla said,
    May 22, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I like this layout alot! But I agree with you on how it’s easy to focus more on what your visitors want to see than what you really want to see yourself. Everything looks fine on this layout except the text looks really big on my pc. It may very well just be my pc that’s acting silly though.

• Kelly said,
    May 23, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I love this new layout! Your design skills are excellent, Becca. I know the trouble with pets refusing to pose for you. They’d do anything you’d like, until you take out that camera.

• Jessie said,
    May 23, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

The new layout is amazing. The purple looks great! I wish I could make a layout like this but I haven’t got the faintest idea how to.

• dom said,
    May 23, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Some sites are awful, but as long as they have good comments , who cares ?

• Mandy said,
    May 23, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

I enjoy the purple turtle! Great job.

• Bubs said,
    May 24, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Love the new look!

• char said,
    May 29, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Very crafty looking design….

• stamatis said,
    June 6, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

Your page looks great! I found it from a greek blogspot which is using one of your templates! Great work! Congratulations!

• Peter G said,
    August 4, 2005 9 years, 112 days ago

A truly subtle shade of purple! Very nice.Ironically I came here whilst googling for any evidence of the famous ‘purpleturtle.com’ email site. A splendid venture that collapsed and died after vile and unscrupulous spammers over loaded them with their stored junkmails. I also love turtles, and pretty much evrything that lives and/or breathes on this gorgeous abused little planet of thiers. :-) take good care of your nice website Bec.Pete.